Capital and Dividends: Revised Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet and Rescissions
July 25, 2018 / Source: OCC
OCC BULLETIN 2018-20
Subject: Capital and Dividends
Date: July 23, 2018
To: Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks, Federal Savings Association, and Federal Branches and Agencies of Foreign Banks; Department and Division Heads; All Examining Personnel; and Other Interested Parties
Description: Revised Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet and Rescissions
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued today the “Capital and Dividends” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook. The revised booklet presents the regulatory capital framework and discusses the regulatory capital rules that define regulatory capital and establish minimum capital standards. The booklet also provides guidance to examiners for assessing banks’ capital adequacy and compliance with capital and dividend regulations.
This revised booklet rescinds and replaces the “Capital Accounts and Dividends” booklet issued in August 1991 (narrative) and March 1998 (procedures) and the following:
- Examining Bulletin 1992-4, “Risk-Based Capital Guidance” (June 29, 1992)
- OCC Bulletin 2012-16, “Capital Planning: Guidance for Evaluating Capital Planning and Adequacy” (June 7, 2012)
- Office of Thrift Supervision Examination Handbook 110, “Capital Stock and Ownership” (December 2003)
- Office of Thrift Supervision Examination Handbook 120, “Capital Adequacy” (September 2010)
Note for Community Banks
The “Capital and Dividends” booklet applies to examinations of all OCC-supervised banks. Certain provisions applicable only to advanced approaches banks (as defined in 12 CFR 3) are shown in specifically marked boxes throughout the booklet.
The revised booklet
- reflects changes to the regulatory capital rule.
- reflects the integration of the Office of Thrift Supervision into the OCC.
- includes expanded examination procedures for capital, dividends, and capital adequacy.
- includes an internal control questionnaire and verification procedures.
- incorporates the information in OCC Bulletin 2012-16, “Capital Planning: Guidance for Evaluating Capital Planning and Adequacy.”
The Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act (Pub. L. 115–174) (Act), signed into law on May 24, 2018, requires the OCC, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (agencies) to make certain changes to the capital framework. The agencies are working jointly to amend their regulations to incorporate the Act’s changes. On July 6, 2018, the agencies issued the “Interagency Statement Regarding the Impact of the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act,” setting out the positions they will take while making regulatory changes.
Contact the Capital Policy Division at (202) 649-6370.
Grace E. Dailey
Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy and Chief National Bank Examiner