FDIC Announces Webinar on Financial Education and Financial Empowerment Resources that Sup…
October 24, 2017 / Source: FDIC
Financial Institution Letters
October 23, 2017
FDIC Announces Webinar on Financial Education and Financial Empowerment Resources that Support People with Disabilities
The FDIC is co-hosting a webinar with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) on November 15, 2017, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time. The webinar will provide an overview of two financial education resources that can be helpful for people with disabilities, FDIC's Money Smart and CFPB's Your Money, Your Goals. The webinar will help familiarize participants with recent enhancements to Money Smart and Your Money, Your Goals that are designed to further promote economic inclusion of people with disabilities.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions with Total Assets Less Than $1 Billion: This Financial Institution Letter (FIL) applies to all FDIC-insured institutions.
- The FDIC and CFPB are co-hosting a webinar on November 15, 2017, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET, to explore financial educational resources that can help people with disabilities make more informed financial decisions. The webinar will be closed captioned. Register here.
- The webinar will focus on the FDIC's Money Smart curriculum and the CFPB's Your Money, Your Goals tools for people with disabilities.
- Money Smart is the FDIC's free financial education program for people of all ages and for small businesses.
- In collaboration with organizations serving people with disabilities, FDIC recently expanded the Guide to Presenting Money Smart for Adults to include more information to support participants with disabilities, including: disability diversity, reasonable accommodations, accessible classes, respect, and disability sensitivity.
- The FDIC also has developed a new Instructor Supplement with scenarios featuring people with disabilities thinking about a financial decision. The scenarios give instructors additional ideas for using Money Smart for Adults.
- The CFPB's Your Money, Your Goals financial empowerment toolkit includes a companion guide, Focus on People with Disabilities, containing 11 new tools and skill-building resources created for persons with disabilities.
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Retail Officer
Luke W. Reynolds, Chief, Outreach and Program Development, Division of Depositor and Consumer Protection, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 898-7164;
Bobbie Gray, Supervisory Community Affairs Specialist, Outreach and Program Development, Division of Depositor and Consumer Protection, at email@example.com or (202) 898-7148.
FDIC Financial Institution Letters (FILs) may be accessed from the FDIC's website at https://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2017/.
To receive FILs electronically, please visit https://www.fdic.gov/about/subscriptions/fil.html.
Paper copies may be obtained through the FDIC's Public Information Center, 3501 Fairfax Drive, E-1002, Arlington, VA 22226 (877-275-3342 or 703-562-2200).